Thursday, August 6, 2015

Three Years in Texas

It's been 5 years since I updated this blog. We moved back to Texas from the DC area 3 years ago. The time has gone quickly. It's great to be closer to family and friends, but there are advantages to being 1,400 miles away.  Since retiring, I've had a number of contract jobs working for non-profits and small businesses. I like the work, but it's not very consistent or stable. I've done all sorts of work from IT help desk, to web design and marketing. After 30 years of stable employment, I'm not used to having to constantly look for work. It's not particularly fun and makes me anxious.  Fortunately my wife has found steady employment doing what she enjoys, so we have a bit of steady extra income. I wish I could do the same but, after 30 years of a full-time job, I'm really looking for something part-time. 

We went to Hawaii for our 29th year anniversary last year. Unfortunately July continues to haunt me. I developed shingles on the last day and spent the 9 hour flight back in a great deal of pain. Shingles is a silly name for such a painful affliction. I couldn't move for week and even after it subsided after 3 months, I still have residual pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment